Statements are generated the first working day of each month, and are normally due the 22nd of each month. Email notifications are sent to the student's uiowa.edu email address, notifying them the statement is ready for review. Please contact the University Billing Office if you have not received the email notification. Please be aware that if the monthly minimum amount due has not been paid by the due date, in order to keep the account in good standing, an account may be restricted and a reinstatement fee may be assessed. Not receiving the email notification is not a sufficient reason to have the reinstatement fee waived. Students may view an account online at ISIS.
Statements are separated into two categories: Contract Charges (Tuition, Room and Board) and Miscellaneous Charges(all other items). Contract charges for the semester will be billed in full as follows:
- Fall Semester - August
- Winter Semester - December
- Spring Semester - January
- Summer Semester - June
The University Billing Office offers two payment options:
- Pay the "Balance in Full" at the beginning of each semester.
- Pay the "Minimum Periodic Payment" through the Deferred Payment Plan.
Paying Balance in Full
If you choose to pay the full amount of the contracted items you will pay the total shown as the "Balance Due" by the date indicated on your bill.
Deferred Payment Plan
By paying the Minimum Periodic Payment listed on the billing statement you will automatically become enrolled in this plan. Students will have their contracted items (Tuition, Room and Board) billed in three installments during the Fall and Spring semesters as follows:
- Fall Semester - August, September, October
- Spring Semester - January, February, March
A $20.00 Deferred Payment Fee will be assessed on the last installment of the semester if you choose this billing option.
During the Summer Semester installments will be billed as follows:
- Summer Semester - June, July
A $15.00 Deferred Payment Fee will be assessed on the last installment of the summer semester if you choose this billing option.
The Minimum Period Payment appearing on each bill will be calculated by billing the appropriate portion of the total contracted charges, plus all miscellaneous charges you have incurred during the month.
International Bank Payments
The University of Iowa has partnered with peerTransfer for a more cost-effective method for international students to wire funds from their home country from any bank. You will be offered excellent exchange rates allowing you to pay in your home currency (in most cases) and save a significant amount of money compared to traditional bank methods. The posting of your payment to the University will be faster, you will have the ability to track your payment and peerTransfer will notify you when the University has received your funds.
Go to: www.peertransfer.com/signup/uiowa to register and then follow the instructions to make a payment.
- To get started, select the country from which your funds will be coming from and the payment amount (in US dollars) you wish to make to your student U-bill.
- In most cases, the US dollar amount will be converted into your home currency at preferential exchange rates, which will translate into savings for you.
- After providing some basic information, you will visit your bank (via phone, online or in person) to send funds from your local bank to peerTransfer.
- peerTransfer will then convert the funds to US dollars and forward the US dollar amount to the University of Iowa where it will be directly credited to your account.
- Through the peerTransfer dashboard you will be able to track where your payment is in the transfer process.
- You will receive an email confirmation when your payment is deposited into the University’s bank account.
- No matter your time zone, you will have a dedicated multilingual customer support team available to you, reachable 24/7 via live chat, Skype, email and phone to answer any of your questions.
Students who receive tuition reimbursement from their employer can request to have the payment of their tuition and fees deferred until the end of the semester (about 30 days after grades are posted on ISIS) for a fee of $35.00 per semester. The deferment only applies to tuition and mandatory fees. All other charges on your monthly bill will need to be paid as billed. This agreement does not include course fees or any other fee associated with your registration.
To request this deferment, please print the agreement form, have your employer sign the agreement and return it to the University Billing Office, Room 5 Calvin Hall. In order to qualify for this deferment the signed forms must be filed with our office before the first billing cycle of the enrolled semester. Deadlines for enrollment are as follows:
- Fall Semester - August 1
- Spring Semester - January 1
- Summer Semester - June 1
Qualifying student's deferred tuition balances must be paid by the following dates.
- Fall Semester - January 22
- Spring Semester - June 22
- Summer Semester - September 22
The signed agreement does not result in us billing the employer directly. The student will remain financially responsible for the balance of their bill and all restrictions will apply if payment is not received from you by the due dates stated above.
The Tuition Assessment Schedule is based upon the number of semester hours for which the student is registered. Copies of the regulations and administrative guidelines governing the classification of residents and nonresidents for admission and tuition purposes are available in the Office of the Registrar, 1 Jessup Hall. Questions concerning these regulations and guidelines should be referred to the Office of the Registrar. Students registered for 5 or more tuition hours are required to pay the mandatory health fee and are eligible for an unlimited number of office visits at the Student Health Services at no charge. Student Health is located at 4189 Westlawn. Registered students are required to pay a mandatory computer fee based on their semester hours of enrollment. This fee funds the computer system designed for students.